Frugal Fridays - Indoor Herbal Garden


I've stumbled across so many awesome ideas for the "Frugal Friday" Post!! At first, I was having a lot of trouble choosing which one I wanted to try this week but then I realized that I already had one in the works.  My boss had given me this Herb Grow Kit by Buzzy Seeds for my Birthday back in March.  I am not very good at caring for house plants.  In fact, I am known to be an accidental killer of said plants BUT do not be concerned -  I live with a wonderful man that happens to have a green thumb!  Once I found out that he can save the plants that I unintentionally kill, I put the kit together and the process began. 



 Here is a picture of the indoor garden catching some rays.  The kit includes Cilantro, Parsley & Basil seeds. My favorite is the basil but I feel like having these fresh herbs in the house will motivate me to find different recipes to include them in.   This is an image of the herbs after about 3 weeks.  As of a few days ago, the leaves starting changing and they now look like the actual herbs rather than little green leaves (this was very exciting to me!)  I cannot wait for this garden to be fully grown so that I can start using the herbs!!


In addition to the Herb Grow Kit, we planted some cat nip in a small planter and placed it on the window sill in the kitchen.  We have 3 furry children in our cozy little home and they all love cat nip (as we love how entertaining they are when we give them this cat nip).  We used Burpee - Cat Nip Seeds and so far they are growing quite nicely.  It's only been growing for a couple of weeks but it's already potent enough for the cats to enjoy.  And by "enjoy" I mean find it at 4 O'Clock in the morning, eat some of it, knock it into the sink and proceed to roll around on a pair of shoes like they are the best things in the world.  I digress!  This little herb is growing super fast and is making the 3 felines in our home very happy!


Growing herbs that you enjoy cooking with is such a great idea!  It's a huge money saver!  Purchasing fresh herbs in the grocery store can cost you up to $5 each time so why not just invest some time and money into an indoor herbal garden and have fresh herbs to cook with right at your finger tips, free of charge!  Hope you enjoyed the first "Frugal Friday" post!  I'm off to figure out what I will try next week :)

Lots of Love,
Meg

Labels: