Wrap the night around your shoulders



This past weekend, I crossed number 17 off of my 27 List and went camping!  Growing up I had my fair share of vacations in an RV at a campground but to the avid camper, that’s not considered “camping”.  Honestly, the whole camping in an RV situation was perfect for me since I have never been a big fan of mosquitoes, bees or any of the other pests that are found in the great outdoors.  Even as a kid, I would choose playing in the screen house over playing in the back yard!!  It all stems from the “bee not a butterfly incident”.  When I was about 5 years old I went on a family vacation to my great grandparent’s camp.  I was quite interested in the insects around the camp.  So interested in fact, that I reached out and caught what I thought was a butterfly.  I quickly discovered that it was not a butterfly when it started stinging the palms of my hands.  I had caught a bumble bee and that bad boy stung me 5 times!  Since then, I haven’t been a big fan of the outdoors and haven’t been a big fan of the whole camping concept (unless it involved an RV).

I decided to put camping on my list because the truth is that I really love being outside and as I have gotten older, I have learned to tolerate the insects, etc.  The opportunity arose when Toph invited me to join him and a few friends on his annual memorial weekend camping trip.   I instantly said yes to the invitation but  I was super nervous leading up to the trip!! A million questions ran through my head.  Was I going to have to pee in the woods?  How long would I have to go without showering?  What kind of wild life would I encounter?  What do I pack?  And the list goes on…and on…and on!  I silently stressed about these things for about 2 weeks but once we got in the car Friday morning at 5:00am the excitement took over.  
The weekend was absolutely wonderful!!  It was by far the most relaxing vacation I have ever had.  I could go on forever about the trip but instead of typing up one gi-normous post, I’ll just share some highlights & things that I learned!
All in all this trip was amazing and I cannot wait to go back.  I'm almost sad that I didn't experience true camping earlier because I truly enjoyed it but I must admit, this was a pretty fantastic first camping experience!

Lots of Love,
Meg

Labels: