Frugal Fridays - Cinnamon Scented Pine Cones


Happy Friday!!  This week's Frugal Friday is a money saver, makes for a great fall decoration and will make your home smell wonderful!  I found the idea on a blog called Meadow Lake Cottage and thought it would make for a great money saving autumn project.  You can go into a store right now and purchase a bag of scented pine cones for about $5 or you can make them yourself for a whopping $1.50!! The only thing that I was not a huge fan of is that I had to wait a few days before I could display the pine cones and truly asses the finished product.  I am an "immediate satisfaction" type of person and when I spend time making something, I want to see the end result and enjoy it right away.  I practiced patience, waited about 3 days and while it was a little tough for me to not display them immediately, it was worth it! Here is how to make your very own cinnamon scented pine cones!



You will need:

Step One:  Go out and gather pine cones!  Chris & I went on a nature walk and gathered a bunch.  Well... he picked them up (as you can see in the photos above).  We forgot to bring a bag to put the pine cones in so Chris stuffed them into his pockets.  He looked pregnant with pine cones when we left!  Side note: this was my favorite step.  We got to walk around this beautiful area on a really nice fall day....it was pretty lovely! :)


Step Two:  Bring your pine cones home and wash them off in the sink.  There will be some dirt and bugs involved in this step so be prepared!
Step Three:  Dry them off on a paper towel
Step Four:  Put them in the oven at 200 Degrees for about 45 minutes.  This step will melt off any of the sap and will help open up the pine cones so they look like the ones you see in the store.



Step Five:  Place the pine cones into a plastic bag
Step Six:  Place a few drops of the cinnamon fragrance into the bag and seal it
Step Seven:  Leave the bag sealed for 2-7 days (I waited 3....I couldn't help it!)
Step Eight:  Open up the bag once the time has passed, display your homemade scented pine cones & enjoy!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!

Lots of Love,
Meg

Labels: ,