Frugal Fridays - Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte


It's that time again...Frugal Friday!  Fridays creep on me so fast that sometimes I decide on my Frugal Friday post that morning.  This week, however,  I asked my Facebook Followers what they would like me to try out and the homemade pumpkin spice latte was the winner (in fact everyone that responded said pumpkin spice latte was their first choice)!  So between last night and this morning I tried out a couple different recipes! Out of the 3 I tried,  I am sad to say that I was not a fan of one!  Most of the recipes I came across involved a milk, canned pumpkin, a sweetener and pumpkin pie spices.  I tried using different milks (soy milk, whole milk and 1%), different sweeteners (sugar, brown sugar, vanilla) and different spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves) but none of the finished products turned out delicious!  I was pretty discouraged as of this morning but then it dawned on me, why couldn't I try to come up with a recipe in my own noggin!?  So after turning my wheels for a bit, I came up with one!  It minimizes the number of ingredients needed, is super easy and makes for a really yummy homemade pumpkin spice latte!  Here's the scoop...



You will need:



Step One:  Mix the creamer, canned pumpkin & cinnamon using a whisk
Step Two:  Pour into a small sauce pan over medium heat and whisk quickly for a few minutes (until it is bubbling a little)  **Side note - If you do not have a lot of time, you can put this in the microwave for 1 minute to heat up the pumpkin cream mixture!**
Step Three:  Brew your cup of coffee
Step Four:  Slowly add the pumpkin milk mixture to your coffee until you have reached the creamer to coffee ratio that your taste buds yell "hooray" for!
Step Five:  Top it off with some whipped cream, sprinkling a little cinnamon on there and ENJOY!



Does this taste just like a pumpkin spice latte from your favorite coffee shop? No.  I would love to sit here and tell you that it tastes the same but I would be lying and for those of you that do try this out, I want you to go into it with realistic expectations.  So don't try this recipe with that thought in your head.  It tastes a lot like a pumpkin spice latte and is really delicious but if you go into this thinking that it's going to be identical in flavor, you will be disappointed.  This is the "knock-off" version and while it tastes like fall in a cup, it does taste a bit different than the original.  This homemade pumpkin spice latte is creamy & delicious.  It was a perfect start to my day and it saved me the $5 that the original would cost so I'm a pretty happy camper!  

Have you ever tried to make a pumpkin spice latte at home?  Did you read this recipe and think of something wonderful you could add to it to make it even better?  I love feedback, tips and suggestions so please, let me know what you think!  Have a great day :)

Lots of Love,
Meg

Labels: ,