Frugal Fridays - Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner


I don't know about you, but the new year has kicked me into crazy cleaning mode!  Over the next two days, I plan to clean the entire apartment from top to bottom.  I'm not talking about the dusting and putting things away kind of cleaning here!  I'm talking about the get down on the floor and scrub every corner in this place kind of cleaning!!!  For the most part, the apartment is pretty clean but with the new year here, I want to start it off with a spic and span sparkling clean home!!  Because I am in crazy cleaning mode, this week's Frugal Friday falls into the homemade cleaners category.  Slowly but surely, I am determined to switch over to homemade/natural cleaners and I've decided to start off with homemade toilet bowl cleaner.  As I was cleaning the bathroom this morning, I realized that we had run out and rather than go to the store to get more, I decided to try and make my own!  I found this idea on a blog called One Good Thing and I am very excited to share it with you!

You will need:

Step One:  The most effective way to clean your toilet is to actually drain the water out of it first.  Under the toilet, you will find the shut off valve.  Turn it clockwise until it will no longer turn
Step Two:  Flush the toilet and continue to flush it until there is no more water in the bowl
Step Three:  Sprinkle one cup of baking soda all around the inside of the toilet bowl
Step Four:  Pour or spray the white vinegar into the toilet (you will notice that when you pour the vinegar in, it will start to bubble - this means the job is getting done and the toilet bowl is getting cleaned)
Step Five:  Once the bubbling has calmed down, scrub the toilet bowl using a toilet bowl brush
Step Six:  Let it sit for an hour or two (overnight is ideal but if you can't do that, it is no big!!)
Step Seven:  After you have let it sit, scrub the toilet a second time
Step Eight:  Turn the shut off valve back on and flush the toilet

That's it!!  Two ingredients, eight steps, a minimal amount of money spent, zero chemicals involved and you have yourself a sparkling clean toilet bowl!!  I am really impressed with how well this homemade toilet bowl cleaner worked!  Try it out!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!

Lots of Love,
Meg

Labels: