For this week's Frugal Friday post, I want to share with you the many uses for Coconut Oil! It is pretty incredible how many things this oil can be used for. My friend Katie from Florida introduced me to Coconut Oil about 5 years ago and I have been using it ever since! I was originally using it as a moisturizer but over the years I have come across more and more uses for this multi-purpose oil. It dawned on me this morning that sharing all of the uses for coconut oil would make for a pretty great Frugal Friday post, so here we are! Purchasing a jar of coconut oil can range from $6 - $20+ depending on the brand, size and quality but there are so many uses for this oil that you truly get your money's worth! Here's the list...
More uses for Coconut Oil added on as of 3/2013 - My co-worker Kelly just recently had an adorable baby boy and has found some great uses for coconut oil....
- Moisturizer - Simply scoop some out of the container and apply to neck and body (you can use it on your face too BUT it is an oil so if you have an oily complexion, it could be too much for your skin!)
- Pre-shave & After-shave - Using it before shaving helps prepare skin for potential nicks or cuts and using it after helps to heal the skin without clogging your pores
- Homemade Sugar Scrub - This is an excellent exfoliator and you only need coconut oil & sugar to make it!
- Frizzy Hair Remedy - Rub a small amount between the palms of your hands and smooth over hair to tame fly aways (make sure to only use a small amount as this can make your hair greasy)
- Foot Soak - Use coconut oil with some warm milk & water to create a nice moisturizing foot soak (Click on the link to see this great at home pedicure how to)
- Chap stick - Rub a small amount onto your lips for some serious moisturizing! Coconut oil has healing properties to help heal chapped lips and has an SPF of about 4 so you get some protection from the sunshine as well!
- Lip Scrub - When combined with sugar, you can make yourself quite the lip scrub. It is important to exfoliate your lips from time to time so that they properly absorb the moisturizer that you use.
- Bug Bite Relief - When applied to a bug bite, it helps with the itching and speeds up the healing process (double bonus!)
- Homemade Deodorant - Click on the link for the recipe (courtesy of an awesome blog called Crunchy Betty)
- Eye Makeup Remover Wipes - Using a small amount of coconut oil on a cotton ball works BUT if you click on the link, you can make a whole container of eye makeup remover wipes! Pretty Nifty!
- Massage Oil - Works great AND it has a very light, almost non-existent scent to it so you can always add a little lavender or eucalyptus oil to create a nice calming massage oil!
- Homemade Toothpaste - Another great idea from the blog Crunchy Betty - click on the link for the recipe!
- Strengthen Your Nails - Rub onto your nails and it will keep them nice & strong
- Facial Scrub - Mix Coconut oil with baking soda to brighten and moisturize your skin!
- Homemade Vapor-Rub - Mix 3 Tbs Coconut Oil (Melted), 3-5 Drops Tea Tree Essential Oil, 6-10 Drops Rosemary Essential Oil and rub onto chest
- Moisturizing Shower Scrub - 1 Cup Coconut Oil, 1/2 Cup Aloe Vera gel & 1/4 Cup baking soda
- Use as your back up WD-40 - Have a squeaky door that clearly needs a little WD-40? Use coconut oil instead!
- Goo-Gone Replacement - Need to get the sticky residue from a label off of a jar?? Use a little coconut oil instead of goo-gone!
- Pan Greaser - Use to grease pans or muffin tins rather than using butter or crisco
- Wood Cutting Board Conditioner
Special thanks to One Good Thing, Health Impact News and Crunchy Betty for some of these excellent ideas!!
Are there any other uses for Coconut Oil that you have found or tried out??
I am sure that there are many more out there, these are just the ones that I have either tried out or plan to try out in the future! This stuff is pretty amazing, huh!?
Lots of Love,
Labels: Bath and Beauty, Frugal Friday