Frugal Fridays - Homemade Frozen Burritos


It seems like any time I forget my lunch at home, I end up going to the store up the street and picking up a frozen burrito.  I usually pay anywhere from $3 - $4 on one from the organic section of the store.  My absolute favorite is the bean and cheese burrito in a whole wheat tortilla...YUM!  I realized a few weeks ago that these frozen burritos would be a much more cost effective option if I made them myself which brings us to this week's Frugal Friday!



You will need: 


Simply heat up the beans and mix in whichever seasonings you have chosen.  Lay out the tortilla or wrap, place the cheese and beans to one side and roll it up!  Once you have made all of your burritos, place them on a baking sheet and put them in the freezer for 2 hours uncovered.  After the two hours is up, you can remove them from the freezer and place them all into a zip lock bag!  When you are ready to enjoy one of your homemade burritos, simply remove it from the freezer and place in the microwave.  Heat for 1 minute, flip over, heat for another 30 seconds and ENJOY!! 

Side note:  These can be frozen for up to 3 months!

I am really excited about this Frugal Friday!  It's going to save me money since I won't be going to the store to purchase the $3-$4 burritos AND it's much healthier!  This is also another idea that is super easy to customize to your own taste buds.  I tried this simple bean and cheese burrito this time but I plan to try out some different recipes as well...beans & rice, beans & mixed veggies, faux meat and veggies, etc etc etc!!


Labels: ,